Monday, June 27, 2011

Just a spoonful of Sugar

O.K. O.K. so it takes much more then a spoonful to make these wonderful creations, but it is pretty much just sugar.

I started learning the ropes of sugar flowers recently and I have to say that I am in love. I have always had a thing for flowers, and I absolutely love that the delecacy of the petals can carry over into sugar.

 The apple blossoms, blue rose and primrose are made from homemade royal icing. They were left out to harden and are now ready to adorn a cake.

The button flower ( lower right) and pansies are made from a fondant/gumpaste combination that were also left out to harden. The sugar flowers ( the ones made from royal icing) have a longer shelf life then the fondant/gum paste flowers, however both are wonderful to put on cakes or cupcakes.

The sugar flowers as i said are more delicate because you are able to make the petals so thin. If you notice on the pansies, there is a slight "curl" in the petals and they are paper thin. A very neat trick I think.

1 comment: