Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chocolate Cookie Dough Cupcakes

I mentioned the other day that I have been wanting to try new recipes and I finally did.

I decided to go with a chocolate cookie dough cupcake recipe that I got from Annie's Eats. This is a great site with lots of fun recipes and I thought this would be a good one to try.

Most of the ingredients I had on hand but I did need to go out and get a few things like chocolate chips and extra brown sugar.

I used my big mixer with the paddle attachment to mix the batter in the beginning. This is great for creaming together butter and sugar.


Once the batter was all mixed together It was time to put it in the pan and get it into the oven. I made a batch without cupcake wrappers just to see how they would come out. As these are for testing anyway I figured it couldn't hurt.

They batter was heavy and thick, so baking time ran close to 20 minutes. I was so impressed by how nice they looked when they came out. They actually looked like chocolate cookies!


I knew from the beginning that I would need to make a filling. The filling was going to have to be chilled for an hour in the fridge as well so I started this right when the cupcakes went in. This way, by the time both batches had cooled it was time for the filling to come out. The cupcakes are to be filled so the center needed to be removed after cooling. The filling was made without eggs so it is like cookie dough without worrying about ingesting raw eggs :)

TT Tip: I recommend using a paring knife and cutting an upside down "cone" shape in the cupcake. Using a knife gives you more control and keeps the hole from becoming too big.

I also went ahead and made the icing while I waited. The icing ingredients were similar to the batter itself minus the rising agents and eggs. It also called for brown sugar AND confectioners sugar. This left the icing a tad gritty for me. I will have to look into ways to keep that from happening in the future.

Once the cupcakes were filed, I iced them using a Wilton tip and garnished them with mini chocolate chips.



The cupcakes were a great hit for everyone that tried them and I am really glad I took the time to try out the recipe. I will definitely be trying more soon and posting my tips and experiences here. Please feel free to share any questions you have. Thanks





1 comment:

  1. Those look yummy. Did you ever try the gadget I gave you for making a hole in cupcake? I have also used an apple corer which works quite well. These are gorge.

    ReplyDelete